Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"The Joy of Ice Cream" - Brown Cow (a mix of root beer, milk, chocolate syrup and ice cream) for National Ice Cream Month


Date I made this recipe:  August 3, 2015 – a belated celebration for National Ice Cream Month (July)

The Joy of Ice Cream by Matthew Klein
Published by:  Barron's
© 1985
Purchased at Goodwill
Recipe:  Brown Cow – p. 135 (root beer + milk + chocolate syrup + ice cream)

Well, as the character, Maxwell Smart, of the TV show, Get Smart, would say of (observing) National Ice Cream Month:  "Missed it by 'that' much."

As always, we were busy and so as per usual, we were just a tad behind on making something to observe National Ice Cream Month (who knew?) in July.  As in the entire month of July. But seeing as how I tried out the chocolate syrup for this recipe for the 4th of July and just now made another batch for this recipe and I think that counts as "observing" and/or celebrating (not really).

And I should tell you that since I have at least six ice cream cookbooks, I probably should go out and buy an ice cream machine but instead, I keep looking for loopholes (I should have been a tax preparer) and I found it in this recipe for a Brown Cow, a tasty beverage featuring ice cream.  Still, I'm seeing an ice cream machine purchase on my horizon and this is probably why I've been stockpiling Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons so I can strike at dawn take a road trip to my nearest store.

Now in an amazing case of timing, just last week, Bon Appétit magazine had an article about how to make ice cream by hand (i.e. not using a machine) and while it was interesting, it also would have taken forever to use their method and time is one thing we do not have in the summer, as evidenced by the fact that I am always weeks behind on making my summer dishes to celebrate various events.  But if you wanted to check it out and give some of the ice cream recipes in this book a whirl, go right ahead because they all sounded yummy.

This cookbook, one of several in a series of "Joy of" cookbook published by Barron's (and not to be confused with Irma Rombauer's Joy of Cooking), includes recipes for ice cream flavors; sundaes and parfaits; sodas and drinks; cakes, molds and bombes and toppings, sauces and syrups. Since I was in a nostalgic mood, I decided on the refreshing Brown Cow ("How now, brown cow") containing root beer, ice cream, chocolate syrup and milk.  And I have to say, the first thing that came to mind upon reading that the recipe called for the milk and root beer combination was of Laverne DeFazio's (character on Laverne & Shirley) love of Pepsi and milk.  That concoction made me go "ugh;" this one made me say "yum!"  Not included in the beverage selections though, was one of my childhood favorites, a Boston Cooler, made with Vernors Ginger Ale and ice cream.  And I'm here to tell you right now that it has to be made with Vernors Ginger Ale.  Has to.  If you can't find it, don't bother making it!  But if you do, the recipe is simple: fill a glass with ice-cold Vernors, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you are done!)  (Vernors Ginger Ale is a Michigan product but I can buy it here in Minnesota at Lunds & Byerlys.)

So here's how you make a "How now" Brown Cow and it's really delicious, easy and screams SUMMERTIME!

Brown Cow – makes 4 sodas
6 Tb. Chocolate Syrup (Ann's Note:  an easy recipe for home-made syrup follows)
1 cup cold half-and-half or milk
2 chilled bottles (12 oz. each) good root beer
4 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream

Chocolate syrup
6 oz. semi=sweet chocolate
½ cup evaporated milk
¼ cup water

Place ½ tablespoons of chocolate syrup (*see recipe instructions below) into each of 4 tall soda glasses.  Add ¼ cup half-and-half or milk to each and stir to blend the syrup.  Add about half of each bottle of soda to each glass, then stir soda briefly and gently with a long-handled spoon.  Top each soda with a scoop of ice cream and serve at once.


To make the syrup, melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler until melted.  Add the evaporated milk and stir until blended.  Take off the heat and add the water.  Done!

No comments: