Wednesday, May 2, 2007

"The American Diner Cookbook" - Deep South Omelette

Date I made this recipe: April 29, 2007

The American Diner Cookbook by Elizabeth McKeon & Linda Everett
Published by: Cumberland House Publishing – http://www.cumberlandhouse.com/
ISBN: 1-58182-345-2
© 1996, 2003

Recipe: Down South Omelette – p. 24

I pulled this cookbook off the shelf when I was looking for a Route 66 cookbook last week and it was a gas to look through and oh ah over the old photos, old menus and old recipes. Mind you, I have several other diner/Route 66-related cookbooks in my collection (Is the Pope in Rome?) but I’ll make those other recipes some other time.

Co-author Linda Everett is also the author of Retro Diner and More Retro Diner as well as Retro Breakfast, Retro Barbecue—you get the picture. Seems like she’s on quite the roll…down Route 66 perhaps?!

This recipe made for a very yummy Sunday breakfast and I got to use up some potatoes and Cheddar cheese in my larder to boot. My husband thought that three tablespoons of butter was a bit excessive so he used two. He clearly wasn’t channeling Paula Deen (The Food Network’s unofficial Butter Queen) or he would have seen no harm whatsoever in using three. But he offered to help me prepare the omelette so who was I to argue?

This recipe makes one big omelette and we saved part of it for some very delicious leftovers the next day.

The only thing I would change in this recipe is that I would sauté the onion before adding it to the omelette. I’m not a big fan of semi-cooked onions but it’s your call and your omelette so knock yourself out!

Down South Omelette – serves 2
6 eggs
6 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
¾ cup peeled and cubed cooked potatoes
¼ cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese

In a mixing bowl beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth but not foamy. In a separate mixing bowl add the bacon to the potatoes and onion.

In a heavy skillet melt the butter. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium.

As the egg mixture sets lift the edges with a spatula and tilt the skillet so the uncooked portion flows to the bottom of the pan. Do not stir. Spoon equal amounts of the bacon-potato filling into the center of each omelette.

When the eggs are set but still moist, add the grated Cheddar cheese. Loosen the edges of the omelette and carefully fold over. Making sure the bottom is loose, slide the omelette onto a serving dish.

No comments: